Monday, June 4, 2012

Americana Trinket Shelf (or Junk Drawer Art)

Both my spare bedroom and bathroom are americana themed. The bedroom was easy to decorate, but the bathroom had me stumped. I had the red shower curtain, and some easy to sew decorated towels , but there wasn't much wall space to work with as far as hanging art. I purchased a small, unfinished trinket shelf at my local dollar store and painted it navy blue. And it sat waiting for inspiration  as to what to fill it with. My first thought was to make some tiny art squares to put in each space, but that didn't work out so well. So I dug through my stash of whimsies (read: junk) and pulled out as many red, white, silver and tan trinkets I could find. I used broken jewelry, old game peices, buttons, and other bits I had floating around. I started by arranging them in the squares and rearranging as needed to make them look nice, then I hot-glued them into place. Ta-da! Easy, and cute artwork for the bathroom! Total cost was $1.00 for the shelf, all the other materials I had on hand!



Here is is with the other small art piece my husband found for me at goodwill.



1 comment: