Sunday, September 9, 2012

How to make a mumu wearable

I love a good deal. I REALLY love a good deal. But sometimes the things I find on clearance are... not so good. So what do you do? You alter them, of course! Basic sewing skills are imperitive for the frugal fashionista.

Is it missing a button? Replace the buttons
Broken zipper? Replace the zipper
Too long? Hem it up
Gaudy excessive beading or embelishment? Remove it (I remember taking massive amounts of sequins off of a pink shrug once. My best friend loved it, but couldn't stand the sparkle. We ended up with sequins all over my apartment, but the shrug was much better after its alteration)

But what about those items that you love the fabric of, but the shape and style are really horrid?  That takes a little more effort to make work. 

I am a big time Ross shopper. I love getting great clothes and shoes at a discount. I'm not sure if everyones Ross has one, but mine always has a rack of Mumus near the dresses. Every time I go in, I peruse the mumu rack, oohing and aahing over the gorgeous fabrics, but frowning over the shapelessness of them.  On my last trip in, I caved and bought this little (giant) gem. It was on clearance for $6.49

Awesome, right? I especially love the giant sunburst centered on the tummy.  Very flattering. (please note the sarcasm).
But, I love the colors and the border, so I turned it into a cute belted top!
 

 
This was a pretty easy reconstruction.  Here's how it's done:
1. Buy awesome Mumu
 
2. Try on mumu, mark or pin where you want your waistline to end up.
 
3. Remove lines of stitching on sides of mumu that hold the two layers together.
 
4.Lay mumu flat on floor (or craft table if you are lucky enough to have one.)
 
5. Using chalk and a ruler, mark accross the mumu an inch or two below your waist mark. (the further below you cut, the more volume you will have on the top. You will need at the very minimum 1" seam allowance/ease. I recommend at least 2".)
 
6. Cut along the line you marked, being careful to not let the fabric shift around.
 
 7. Measure from the bottom, and mark a line at the length you want from waist to hem. I did 10", you can do more or less depending on the length you want. Don't forget to factor in 1/2" seam allowance.
 
8. Cut.  You should now have 2 pieces.
 
 
9. Using a serger or french seam, sew fronts together and backs together.  I used a french seam so I could add a drawstring tie to my top.
 
10.Sew sides back up leaving a few inches at  the bottom and generous armholes.
 
 
11. Add a  drawstring if you want, or a wide belt for  a chic look!
 
As always, feel free to ask me any questions!
 
 
Linking to Positively Splendid

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that I'm following you! What a clever idea. I've got some dresses I could do that to. Thanks for the inspiration!

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm glad you found me! have fun refashioning those dresses, and let me know how the turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! There was a mix up with the stylelately giveaway. I need you to please go an re-enter. So sorry for the hassle. I just wanted to make sure your entries counted. Have a great night!

    Danielle @ Blissful and Domestic

    http://www.blissfulanddomestic.com/2012/09/stylelately-giveaway_25.html

    ReplyDelete